High School Summer Intern Job Opening Opportunities
Position title: High School Summer Internship (2-4 openings)
Length of Assignment: 8-10 weeks beginning June 2017
Departments: Manufacturing Engineer Technical Support, or Lean Promotion (Six Sigma)
Reports to: RBN Technical Lead, or Lean Promotion Officer, or Quality Manager, or Manufacturing Engineering Manager
Position Responsibilities for Mfg. Engineer Technical Support Summer Intern:
¨ Provides support to engineers and operators in Driving Operations Excellence Lean Transformation Plan for Rack and Ballnut (RBN) Assessment and next steps.
¨ Lean manufacturing implementation in RBN to include: cleaning station implementation, process flow improvements, WIP station refinements.
¨ Data collection, segregation, implementation and administration of overall equipment effectiveness in finished RBN manufacturing.
¨ Conduct Statistical trials for Gauge R&Rs, Correlation Testing and minimal experiments for RBN Engineering Team.
¨ Implements methods for sort and repair.
¨ Performs analysis, disposition, and reporting on customer returns.
¨ Maintains communications with work center personnel, management, customers, and suppliers to resolve problems and facilitate continuous improvements.
¨ Performs statistical studies and analyses and write report and findings.
¨ Other duties as assigned.
Position Responsibilities for the Lean Promotion Support Intern:
- Learn the Lean Six Sigma methodology, tools and techniques to reduce waste, streamline processes, and implement ZF-TRW global visual management standards throughout the facility including improving or introducing the following shop floor processes:
Colors – collaborate with quality dept to improve status
Global signage requirements – identify and erect
Shop floor markings – physical implementation of WIP locations
- Provide support for other lean manufacturing projects such as
o 5S activities
o Material flow improvements
- Position required excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and excellent project management skills.
- Other duties as assigned.
Position Responsibilities for the Quality or Engineering Department’s Summer Intern:
¨ Works with Quality or Manufacturing Engineering and Technicians as follows:
§ To meet Quality or Manufacturing Engineering goals.
§ Identify and implement improvements in regards to quality or manufacturing.
§ Participate with and support engineering and manufacturing teams with technical expertise needed to resolve issues impacting our ability to provide a top quality product in the most cost effective manner.
¨ Communicate to others, as needed, to achieve assigned tasks.
¨ Ownership of work tasks and projects and meets deadlines.
¨ Generate reports (using excel) and collect data and keep paperwork organized, as required.
Qualifications for Students Applying:
- Applicants must be at least age 16 years as of May 31, 2017.
- Student status-rising Junior, or Senior (Rising Seniors Preferred).
- Student must be in good standing with high school (no discipline referrals in past school year).
- Successful completion of a high school math course (preferably Algerbra I) with a B average.
- Students must provide a copy of their current high school transcript.
- Student must have positive recommendation for high school.
- Student must have an overall GPA of 2.5 or better.
- Averages no more than 4 days absence from school in the last school year.
- Student must pass drug and nicotine test.
- Ability to provide own transportation
- Preferred - Career Readiness Certificate at Gold, Platinum or Silver Level.
- Preferred - Dual Enrollment while in high school at WSCC, TCAT Phipps Bend or Morristown.
Additional Skills, Knowledge or Abilities (non-physical):
1. Team Oriented
2. Computer skills in Word and Excel
3. Interpersonal skills that foster positive, proactive teamwork
4. Good Communication skills: written, verbal and presentation
5. Problem Solving skills/ability
Additional Skills, Knowledge or Abilities (physical)
1. Physical stamina to work (stand and walk) 8+ hours consecutively
2. Physical strength to lift and maneuver, occasionally, 25+ lbs
3. Physical agility to reach and climb
4. Willingness to travel occasionally, if needed
Shift Assignment: Day shift; 40 hours per week with the opportunity for occasional overtime.
Length of Assignment: Positions available to begin between May 30 and June 6, 2017 and will last 8-10 weeks.
Intern Position Pay: $10 hr.
Preferred Candidates: While all interested and qualified students are encouraged to apply, these two assignments are an excellent opportunity for learning for the high school student who is college bound to pursue a BS engineering or technical degree.
Application for Intern Positions: Make application via e-mail resume to Wayland Seaton, CTE Director Hawkins County Schools at: wayland.seaton@HCK12.net
NOTE: Resumes are being accepted between now and April 28, 2017. Interviews will completed and offers made during May 2017.
Timeline for ZF TRW High School Summer Internships
April Post Intern Positions at High Schools: April 5 to 28, 2017 PRIME: Wayland Seaton
Initial Screening of Candidates by May 5, 2017: PRIME: Wayland Seaton
May Screening & Interviews to be held at ZF TRW: PRIME: Daronda Patterson
Interview Date: May 8 through 19, 2017
By May 24, 2017 Offers to be made to high school students for intern openings and communicated to Wayland. PRIME: Daronda
By June 2, 2017 Onsite Student and Parent Intern Orientation to be held at ZF TRW. PRIME: Daronda Patterson